Thursday, February 11, 2010

January 28, 2010

I had been taking the antibiotics for three days and not seen any improvement. The good thing was there was no pain. I was getting more and more frustrated by my inability to function, though.
This Thursday morning I had to go to a big pastor's meeting and while there plan the worship for a women's conference. I was to be in charge of all the music and forming a women's choir for a congregation of about 1,000 people. This is something I have been looking forward to since last October!
The meeting was full of people, loud noises, loud music, videos, and lots of distractions. I felt dizzy, nauseous, and completely lost. This was my first time being around a lot of people since the deafness occurred, so I didn't know what was going on with me. I could see people talking but not hear them because of someone nearby crumpling a paper. Little sounds drowned out the big ones.
The severity of my reaction in the meeting made me decide that morning I needed to go to an ENT, immediately. We came home and asked around and found one who could see me that afternoon. My husband took me and she examined me. She diagnosed me with Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss, or Sudden Deafness. She put me on steroids, anti-virals, blood thinner, and something else. She told me to wait a week, be on rest as much as possible, and then go have a CT scan and audiology exam.
I came home and investigated the condition and felt really good about her diagnosis as well as her treatment. I held onto the 30% full recuperation rate that I read about.

No comments:

Post a Comment