Thursday, February 11, 2010

Half-hearing

A friend of mine in the US decided to plug up one of her ears for a whole day and see how I am living. Granted, she says, she could still hear a little bit from that ear, but she wanted to get the idea. She said she felt all day like she was just missing things. Like someone would throw her a ball and it would go over her head and she would run to get it, over and over and over again.
She also said that everything took so much more effort. She was exhausted by the end of the day.
That's how I feel. What is maybe even a little worse is that I live in a culture where Spanish is spoken. People don't realize that I understand them, I just can't hear them. I have to pay extra attention to nuances, facial expressions, body language, everything. It's quite the job!

No comments:

Post a Comment